While summer is near and we begin to rejoice at the resurgence of sunshine, we are equally excited to ring in the arrival of BBQ season! Mazola shared with us this delicious Grilled Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions recipe. Made with turkey breast, garlic powder, Italian herbs, and heavily customizable, this beef burger alternative will be made all summer long!
Grilled Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions
● 1 pound ground turkey breast
● 2 teaspoons garlic powder
● 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
● 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
● 1 tablespoon spicy BBQ Sauce OR applewood BBQ Sauce
● 1 medium red onion
● 1 tablespoon Mazola Canola Oil
● Generous amount grill spray
● 4 reduced calorie, whole wheat hamburger buns
● 1/2 cup spicy BBQ Sauce OR applewood BBQ Sauce
● Lettuce and tomato, if desired
1. Preheat grill to medium heat.
2. Combine ground turkey breast, garlic powder, Italian herb seasoning, pineapple and 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce in a medium bowl; mix well. Form into 4 patties, approximately 5-inches in diameter. Set aside.
3. Slice red onion into 1/4-inch thick slices. Toss onions with oil. Grill onions until tender and caramelized using a grill pan; about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Place turkey burgers on grill grates sprayed with grilling spray. Grill over direct heat for 5 minutes; turn apply 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce to top of the burger. Continue grilling an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
5. Toast buns for 2 minutes while onions and patties are grilling; remove, set aside.
6. Place cooked burger on bottom bun. Place an equal amount of onions and barbecue sauce on each burger. Add lettuce and tomato, if desired, and top with top half of bun.