Chef Evy Mendes from Cantine Toca shared with us this delicious recipe for Yassa. Cantine Toca is an online cantine based in Montreal offering West African vegan meals. Fun fact: Yassa sauce with Ras El Hanout Flavoured Vermicilli and Conserva Flavoured Mushrooms has been a fan favourite dish at Cantine Toca since it opened!
Prepping time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 5 people
● 4 large onions
● 6 cloves of garlic
● 1 bunch of parsley
● 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper
● 4 tbsp of Dijon mustard
● 1 lemon or lime
● 3 bay leaves
● 300 mL of water
● oil for the pan
Nokhoss/Roff (marinade) preparation:
1. Mix 1 onion, parsley, scotch bonnet pepper, 1 tbsp of salt, 1/2 tbsp of pepper, 2 tbsp of oil, 2 tbsp of water and lime juice in a blender. Adjust salt, pepper and spice levels to your taste
1. Mince 3 onions.
2. Heat up a large pot on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of oil.
3. Add the onions & bay leaves and cover the pot. After 15 min the onions should start caramelizing.
4. Uncover the pot and add nokhoss & mustard to the pot and stir for 15 minutes.
5. When onions are almost cooked, add water and cover for 15 minutes.
6. Add olives to the sauce and serve with roasted veggies, mushroom dibi and rice.